Saturday, November 5, 2011

Doorway in Eze

"Doorway in Eze"
My husband and I both took photos of this doorway in Eze, France last year.  While my husband's photo  was a great shot focused on the upper door, I stepped back for a longer range view of the doors and steps.  (The two photos are included below.)  

The painting focal point is the upper door, but I was able to include a lot of greenery and lanterns by using the longer view.  First, I put in the darks of the two doors and the shadows under the roof tiles, then added the greenery loosely.  The stones in the foreground and background are all painted loosely, impressionistically without any formal definition of stones, but rather, just the lights and darks and textures of stones.  

As it turns out the sharpest details are on the pots, lanterns and doors, in order to move the viewer's eye around the painting.  
closeup of the doorway

longer view

No comments:

Post a Comment